LET'S BE CLEAR from the start, you need both options! Both open and closed stances have their advantages and disadvantages.Here’s when it’s best to hit an open stance ground stroke and why…
1. Better for higher balls because you can generate more power and maintain balance
2. Can help disguise your intentions on certain balls
3. Easier to recover from wide outside the court and return to the centre of the court
4. Helps maintain contact in front on deep and fast balls (returns)
5. Better peripheral vision
When you select to play a closed stance ground stroke factors to consider are…
1. Easier to play approach shots that are short and low
2. Helps to disguish mid-court forehand finish
3. Better suited to a later contact point
4. Preferred option on shorter balls through the middle
Nearly every ground stroke or return of serve you play can be hit with either an open or closed stance. It’s up to you to decide which option is appropriate for each ball.
Go ahead and experiment with both open and closed options and if you are weak on either of the two options take lessons from an experienced teaching pro so that you become more proficient.